This Includes

  • PAYE or Pay as You Earn
  • UIF or Unemployment Insurance Fund
  • SDL or Skills Development Levy
  • Workman’s Compensation

Registration and Monthly Obligations

If you are going to employ staff that work for a period longer than 24 hours a month, you will need to register for PAYE or Pay as You Earn.

You will only be liable for SDL if your salary bill exceeds R500,000 in the next 12 months.

Currently, the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) provides short-term relief to workers when they become unemployed or are unable to work because of maternity or adoption leave, or illness.  If you have employees, you are required to register for UIF.

If applicable to you, you are required to register for all of these taxes.

As an employer, it is your responsibility to deduct the relevant amount of tax due from your employees for PAYE, SDL & UIF and then pay this over to SARS on a monthly basis.  You submit the EMP201 return and the payment by the 7th day of the following month.


Twice a year, each employer has to submit an EMP501 reconciliation to SARS in respect of employee’s tax.

There are 2 declarations that must be submitted:

  1. Interim period – which is for the transaction period 1 March to 31 August
  2. Annual period – which is for the full tax year 1 March to 28/29 February.

IRP5’s / IT3(a)’s

At the end of each tax year (February), each employer has to give each employee a record of their salary and the taxes deducted for the year or the period of the year that the employee worked for you.  A copy also gets sent electronically to SARS.  Employees will use this as the basis to complete their annual tax return.

How we can help you

We will ensure that you are properly registered for all of the taxes that you need to be registered for.  We will handle the entire process for you.

We will administer your entire payroll if required.

We will submit all monthly declarations as required and let you know what needs to paid over to SARS in good time.

We will handle all declarations and also issue employee tax certificates at year end (IRP5’s or IT3(a)’s)

Complete and submit all Workman’s Compensation Fund Returns